Evangelical Publisher Zondervan Set to Release "Quran with Christian Commentary"
Zondervan, an evangelical publishing company, is releasing a guide carrying precise modern English translation of the Quran, with a Christian commentary alongside, to equip Christian ministers to interact with Muslims.
The Quran with Christian Commentary offers a unique introduction to the primary religious text of Islam. Alongside a precise modern English translation of the Quran, author Gordon D. Nickel provides in-text notes to explain the meaning of various surahs (chapters) and ayat (verses), their interpretive history and significance in Muslim thought, and similarities and differences when compared to biblical passages. Additional articles on important topics are written by an international team of today's leading experts including:
- Abraham in the Quran by George Bristow
- Early Christian Exegesis of the Quran by J. Scott Bridger
- Tampering with the Pre-Islamic Scriptures by Gordon Nickel
- Salvation in the Quran by Peter Riddell
- Fighting and Killing in the Quran by Ayman S. Ibrahim
- Creation in the Quran by Jon Hoover
- Calling to Islam (da'wa) by Matthew Kuiper
- Apocryphal Details in Quranic Stories by Mateen Elass
- The Death of Jesus in the Quran by Gordon Nickel
- Son of God in the Quran by Gordon Nickel
- Jihad in the Quran by David Cook
- Moses in the Quran by Gordon Nickel
- Manuscripts of the Quran by Daniel A. Brubaker
- Women in the Quran by Linda Darwish
- The Place of the Scale(s) in the Reckoning by Daniel A. Brubaker
- Divine Punishment of Unbelievers in This World by David Marshall
- Shi'ite Interpretation of the Quran by Linda Darwish
- The Language of Love in the Quran by Gordon Nickel
- Allah in the Quran by Mark Anderson
- Eschatology in the Quran by David Cook
"No one can understand the Muslim mind without some solid knowledge of the contents of the Quran," says Nickel, director of the Centre for Islamic Studies at South Asia Institute of Advanced Christian Studies in Bangalore, India.
"I knew from many years of studying and teaching the Quran that there are ways to read this scripture that allow readers to avoid confusion and rather to make sense of its main themes. I also noticed from my reading that the Quran often addresses non-Muslims directly and seems to demand a response to its claims."
Factual, respectful of Muslims, and insightful on issues about which Muslims and Christians disagree, The Quran with Christian Commentary equips Christians to interact more fruitfully with Muslim believers. Professors and students in courses on Islam and the Quran will find this to be an invaluable resource, as will pastors and missionaries who minister among Muslims. Written at a readable level, any Christian who wants to learn more about Islam and the Quran will find it to be a rich and informative introduction.
The pre-order of the commentary, which includes articles on important topics, has begun on Amazon for its April 28 release.
About the Author
Gordon Nickel (PhD, University of Calgary) is director of the Centre for Islamic Studies at South Asia Institute of Advanced Christian Studies in Bangalore, India. A former instructor at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and the University of British Columbia, he has written several books including A Gentle Answer to the Muslim Accusation of Biblical Falsification.
Tags : zondervan zondervan publishers Quran with Christian Commentary gordon d nickel