With more than 545 million unique installs worldwide, YouVersion has seen Bible engagement activity in nearly every country and territory since launching in 2008. This year, the verse that the global YouVersion Community shared, bookmarked, and highlighted the most is Isaiah 41:10.
Isaiah 41:10 reads: "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
In terms of global reading trends, Cuba stands out as the country with the greatest increase in Bible engagement, with an increase of 76% compared to 2021. Meanwhile, the fastest regional growth for Bible engagement is in Europe and Africa.
Some of this year's most popular YouVersion features in Europe and Africa include:
- People across both continents are sharing verses at a higher rate than last year with significant increases in Bulgaria (31%), Poland (38%), Uganda (53%), and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (53%).
- Belgium has seen a 38% increase in audio Bible usage compared to last year and a 46% spike in verses highlighted.
- In both Nigeria and France, searches in YouVersion are up this year compared to last year with a 41% and 65% increase, respectively.
Compared to last year, more of the YouVersion Community has engaged with the Bible on a daily basis this year. In fact, when measuring the app's highest Bible engagement days of all time, eight of the top 10 days were this year, with September 11, 2022 and Easter Sunday holding the top spots. As people around the world engaged with the Bible, the YouVersion Community:
- Opened the app 5.5 billion times
- Created 2.3 billion Highlights, Bookmarks, and Notes
- Shared 550 million Bible verses
- Completed 303 million in-app searches.
At the beginning of the Ukraine-Russian war, YouVersion searches in the Ukrainian language nearly doubled compared to the previous month. Initially, trending search terms were words like "war," "fear," and "anxiety." As time passed and the war progressed, the top search term in Ukrainian became "love."
"These families are going through something most of us can't imagine. In the middle of what's likely the most difficult time of their lives, they're turning to the Bible for comfort, peace, and hope," said Bobby Gruenewald, Founder and CEO of YouVersion. "It's an honor that we get to be a part of making God's Word available to His people in their greatest moments of need."
For more information about Bible engagement trends in 2022, visit youversion.com/press.